7. Implications of Lockdown on the Fitness Industry
Well, we have all seen the spikes in the gym membership during the New Years. However, lockdown did impact the gym and personal health training businesses that are running offline. Since the probability of passing on infection is high in gyms and other fitness centres, these businesses would have to look elsewhere for survival.
And by elsewhere, we mean the digital space.
Numerous fitness coaches have already taken to the online channels and are continuously being able to widen their subscribers’ base. However, it is during the outbreak of COVID-19 that the fitness industry worth USD 100 Bn began dramatically scrambling from offline to online mode. We have seen a surge in fitness app development projects and digital businesses in COVID-19 since the beginning of the crisis.
And, this is not it. Taking the fitness industry online does not only mean resorting to YouTube or social media platforms to conduct live workout sessions. Fitness coaches have considered developing a dedicated fitness coach booking app or a website to run successful digital businesses in COVID-19 and even after its effect fades out.
Prosperous Digital Businesses in COVID-19 in the Fitness Industry
Nike Training Club (NTC):
As individuals are striving to maintain their fitness regime during the COVID-19 crisis, Nike is reaching out to more potential customers using its fitness app. The app consists of a library of over 185 workouts ranging from the duration of 15-minutes to 60-minutes.
During the crisis, when all the physical fitness centres have been closed for an indefinite period of time, Nike has been the inspiration for fitness workout app development to many. It dropped its subscription plans to accommodate new users for its premium Nike Training Club app. The app now offers yoga classes, targeted training programs, and full-equipment workout sessions for free to all users.
How Does Nike Training Club Work?
- Users can access the Nike Training Club for free for the time being, by signing up with their email id, and entering their shopping preferences and date of birth.
- The app consists of various categories of workouts—Yoga, Cardio and HIT, Strength Training, Mobility, Core, etc. Users can simply select a category and explore a range of workout videos.
- In order to keep the users motivated, the app consists of a ‘Celebrate your Achievements’ feature that offers badges to users, once they reach their workout milestones.
- Besides workout enthusiasts, the app offers an opportunity to fitness trainers to build their fitness business by getting professional training from experts. Fitness trainers have to sign up for NTC Pro to be able to connect with the professionals.
- On top of it, the app consists of ‘Featured Workout Collections’ that help users to view sets of recommended workouts and guidance from the professionals.
Nike Training Club has had an impressive quarter during COVID-19
Since coronavirus is found to be affecting people with low immunity the most, individuals are adding a fitness regime in their schedule. Most of these are beginners, and that’s when the on-demand fitness apps are found to be thriving.
Beachbody on Demand is an online fitness platform that helps users meet their ideal body goals. During the time of COVID-19 crisis, the company has recorded an increment in its subscriber base by 200%.
How Does Beachbody on Demand Work?
- Beachbody on Demand is an online workout program, available on Android and iOS systems.
- Users can sign up for the program and can access over 1100 workout sessions along with the nutrition plans.
- The app offers various categories for users to pick from—Yoga, cardio, strength training, dance, etc.
- Users can use the workout calendars and progress trackers to stay motivated and accomplish their body goals. The app consists of a section with the most popular workouts for the users, with detailed information about the plans.
- Users can even opt for the workout sessions led by experts in the fitness industry. There is a category of experts for users to choose from and begin their fitness journey. The app allows users to add their food preferences. The app processes customizable meal plans with hundreds of recipes and cooking videos.
- The app assigns a free coach to every subscriber, who guides users regarding a plan or a meal.
Beachbody didn’t reach desired heights overnight
8. Analyzing the Education Sector Amidst COVID-19
Lockdown has brought about a significant change in the way knowledge is being disseminated to students. Schools, colleges, universities, coaching classes, and similar educational institutions are witnessing empty benches. In some parts of the world, exams of students have been postponed.
These are the times, when either the education sector would have fallen victim to the crisis or could have emerged more strongly out of it. And it did the latter.
Today, professors are looking at Google Meet and other group video calling apps to conduct an online class. However, this can be a temporary solution. There are no features to underpin the actual purpose of knowledge sharing.
On the flip side, there are some of the edtech startups that are optimally using the lockdown scenario for thriving their businesses. Udemy is one among these eLearning mobile applications. Udemy announced the launch of a free online learning drive, wherein users can login to the website and access the course of their choice. A lot of edTech app development in COVID-19 is underway.
Leading Digital Businesses in COVID-19 in the EdTech Sector
ClassDojo is an online educational app, available for free. It connects the students, teachers, and parents through a single platform. There are a number of sharing options–images and videos–that makes information sharing easy.
ClassDojo is constantly working on its scalability to accommodate even a large number of students without any technical glitch. During the lockdown, it is helping many educational institutions to occupy a virtual room and conduct classes. It is the kind of an LMS providing business inspiration to other edTech stakeholders for LMS app development in COVID-19.
- ClassDojo offers an online app to teachers, parents, school leaders and students. Users can sign up to the app using the designation.
- A teacher can conduct an online class and share the access code with all the students. Students can use the access code and join the virtual classroom. One of the interesting features of the app is that it offers an opportunity to parents to participate along with their kids, given that they have the access code.
- The app enables the option to a school to send notifications and announcements to parents. Parents can also access videos and photos of schools using the app.
- Since a mass of parents speak regional language, the app offers a translator within the app, which helps parents view a notification in the language they speak.
- Students can create their portfolio using the app and include photos and videos in it.
ClassDojo offers an interactive learning portal to students
Engagement of students in the classroom is another story to reflect upon. Now when students are sitting at their homes with distractions to the very core of it, they tend to lose focus on the lectures.
TopHat is the solution that helps professors engage their students better. It is more of an online test-kinda app that enables interactive learning sessions. Recently, TopHat made it to the news for launching a learning platform, powerful enough to enhance the learning experience. Besides this, TopHat has also launched their first cloud-based educational engagement software for higher education.
- The app enables users to signup either as a professor or a student. Professors can leverage the app to conduct live polls and quizzes, during the learning session to gauge the understanding level of their students.
- Professors can take the attendance online and store it to view it at the end of a seminar.
- The app allows professors to assign online homework and review it using various tools integrated within the educational app.
- Professors can host discussions, debates, and competitions to improve the participation of students and automate grading.
- The app provides results to multiple choice questions and quizzes in real time to cut down on the hassles of manual grading.
Top Hat has had an interesting business case
9. Growth of the Medical and Pharmaceutical Sector During the Crisis
Lockdown has been imposed on people and their movement. However, essential goods and services are still available.
And medicines and pharmaceuticals fall in the priority list. It may be surprising to know that despite there being no restriction on the pharmacies, the number of shoppers buying medicines from local stores has slumped.
Wondering what incited this slump?
Well, the concept of chemist home deliveries is not a new one. Post the disruption of Uber, the pharmaceutical and medicine niche also followed suit to rethink innovation in the sector. This gave leeway to many chemists and pharmacists to opt for medicine delivery app development in COVID-19 to cut down on the rush to their stores and be able to cater to a mass.
Today, there are dedicated eCommerce marketplaces for pharmaceuticals and users are responding positively to it. Lockdown further added an interesting angle for the sector. The ‘no contact’ medicine delivery has gained significant traction and is likely to persist even when waves of COVID-19 ebbs. We might see the advent of more digital businesses in COVID-19 in the sector.
Robust Digital Businesses in COVID-19 in Medical & Pharmaceuticals
Walgreens is an American company operating as the second-largest pharmacy store chain in the U.S., just after CVS Health. The company has a mark in the sector for filling prescriptions, photo services, health information, and health and wellness products. It holds 9,277 pharmacy stores in the U.S., as of writing. It specializes in doorstep delivery of medicine and pharmaceuticals across the U.S. The company made a switch to the digital channel at the right time through its pharmacy app development.
Recently, Walgreens made it to the headlines for its thoughtfulness during the COVID-19 crisis. The company announced that it is waving off the delivery fees for the eligible prescriptions during this situation.
- Walgreens has an exclusive eCommerce website and mobile applications for medicines. Users can avail services such as 90-day refills as well as early refill authorizations through the app.
- The app consists of a Walgreens Pharmacy Chat, which is a secure 24/7 chat module for customers to resolve their queries regarding their prescriptions.
- In order to make online shopping easier for new users during the lockdown, the company offers free delivery on the purchase of any medicine from the website.
- The app offers a feature, Walgreens Find Care, which provides virtual care for individuals suffering from common illnesses, mental health, and more.
- Users can access detailed drug info using the app and use the appointment scheduler to meet a certified practitioner or pharmacist at Walgreens.
- The app consists of a store locator that helps individuals to find the nearest Walgreens pharmacy nearby, using their zip code.
- The app offers express delivery when users opt for Walgreens express before checking out.
The secret to Walgreen’s success lies in its features
MyMedKit is an Australian company, offering on-demand prescription service. The company specializes in delivering prescription-based medicines and over-the-counter medical supplies.
While the company was established and quite popular even before the fear of COVID-19 penetrated in, the pandemic deserves some credit for the increased sales of MyMedKit. During the lockdown, when the fear of being in contact with an infected person is at a peak, MyMedKit has taken a ‘no contact’ approach to deliver medicines.
- MyMedKit is an online eCommerce portal for buying prescription medicines, available for both—Android and iOS users.
- The app allows users to take a picture of their script or prescription and send it across to the pharmacist, using the app. The pharmacist receives the request, and the delivery is made within seven business days.
- The app is used by riders, customers, and pharmacists. On placing the order, a rider is assigned for the order. The pharmacy prepares order and assigns the order to the designated rider.
- The driver conducts a verification of the order and sets out for the delivery.
- The app allows the customer to track the live location of the rider, along with the delivery time.
- Customers can look for over-the-counter products using the ‘Explore MyMedKit’ option consisting of Skincare, Health Foods, Baby Products, Fragrance, etc.
Want to develop a profitable business like MyMedkit?
10. Outlook on the Personal Growth Sector During COVID-19
Physical barriers and self-isolation are, in turn, impacting the mental health of individuals. There’s work to handle, household chores, and the feeling of being locked up. All of this has been taking a toll on mental health.
In such a case, digital channels have emerged as a solution. There are therapists on-demand that help individuals cope up with the situation and turn off negative voices. Besides this, there are several online relaxation and meditation videos available for individuals to access.
However, the real disruption in the sector are the self-improvement apps in COVID-19 that handle the trivial mental issues of individuals such as improving the mood, motivating them to work, inducing positive thinking, etc. In addition to this, several online apps offer to cure insomnia and sleep deprivation by calming down the mind.
Which Digital Businesses in COVID-19 are Topping the Chart in the Personal Growth Sector?
Be Intent gained popularity in the personal growth and wellness sector in a short span of nearly six years. Be Intent recently launched a mobile application for users to deal with stress, improve concentration level, and get better sleep.
Since mental health has taken a backseat during the lockdown, the company is spreading awareness about the mental wellbeing of remote-working employees. The company has zoomed in focus on the multicultural groups and organizations, to create a conducive and stress-free working environment.
- Be Intent is an online app that enables wellbeing to individuals, consultants, and an organization in effective manners. Users can subscribe to the plan and choose to work on their body, mind, inner self, and professional skills.
- Regardless of whether a user is a noob to wellbeing or a professional, there are numerous categories of topics and quests to complete and explore mindfulness.
- The app releases new quests every month to make the journey of self-discovery interesting for users.
- The app also has a dedicated subscription plan for organizations to incite a healthy-working environment.
- The app offers a real-time user-friendly dashboard for users to track their progress, hotspots, and warning signs.
- Users receive a gamification experience through the quest programs. On account of this gamification, users stay focused and motivated to use the app.
- Users can access a comprehensive library with over 13000 resources as well as interactive activities, which can be customized as per the need.
Be Intent has created a niche for itself within a short timespan
Ten Percent Happier is a meditation app featuring solutions to mental distress through meditation course videos, sleep meditations, audio lessons, coaching, and so on. In order to encourage the individuals to focus on their mental well being, the company has resources, consisting of interviews with experts, practitioners, teachers, and gurus.
Recently, the Business Insider reviewed the app and added it to the list of the top five meditation apps for boosting mental health.
How Does Ten Percent Happier Work?
- Ten Percent Happier is available to use on the Apple Store and Google Play. Users can sign up for the app with their email id, Apple id, or using Facebook.
- The app consists of an exhaustive library of audio and meditation tracks ranging from 5 minutes to 20 minutes. Users can quickly access the library using the app’s interface to navigate through the app and search for the most relevant meditation tracks.
- Users can scroll through different courses and screens to view the details of the meditation track along with the duration.
- The app provides a progress bar to keep users engaged to the platform and motivated in their venture.
- Users can use the chat options available in the app to strike a conversation with the meditation coaches and seek guidance.
- Users also have the option to adjust the reminder frequency as per their preference.
- The iOS version of the app offers users with the feature to read from or write to the mindful minutes, which serves as a resource for the other users.
Ten Percent Happier is an example of 90% less business hassle
11. Influence of COVID-19 on the Telecommute Sector
The gig economy was spreading all across the world from the U.S., even before the pandemic. According to stats, nearly 57 Mn individuals in the U.S. are working as independent contractors or freelancers.
This means that the demand for remote working app development has already been there for a long time. However, social distancing and imposition of lockdown further encouraged organizations to set up remote working facilities. As a result, there has been positive changes in the usage pattern of email, chat modules, file sharing software, and eMeeting solutions.
Which Digital Businesses in COVID-19 in the Telecommute Sector are Ruling the Roost Amidst the Lockdown?
Evernote is an online organization tool for all members of the team to be on the same page. As of writing, over 225 Mn of individuals use the app to boost their productivity. Despite being a special app for the telecommuters, the company offers special discounts for students.
Teams can chat and share documents, files, images, and videos to collaborate on a project. During the lockdown, the company has recorded an increase in the number of paid users.
- Evernote is an easy-to-use office organizer, which is available to use on Android, iOS, and Windows.
- Users can take notes of a meeting and import content into the app. The app allows users to create multiple such notes and share it with the team members.
- The app enables users to share the notes via email as well. This way they can collaborate with as many team members as they want.
- Using Evernote, users can access notes offline. During active Internet connection, notes and the work gets automatically synced and stored.
- Evernote can be integrated with Gmail, Microsoft Teams, and Google Assistant.
- Users can select the plans as per the need from—Evernote Basic, Evernote Premium, and Evernote Business.
Do you know the story behind Evernote’s linear growth?
Google Meet took the place of the conference room during the lockdown. It has emerged as a cost-effective video conferencing solution.Google Meet is a bit more convenient to use as it has a G Suite account. Most of the organizations already have accounts of their employees activated, and so there is no need to download a special app.
Google Meet allows users to join calls using an access code. The meetings are limited to 60-minute. As COVID-19 hits organizations hard, Google Meet announces a freebie tier for enterprises to help them conduct meetings.
How Does Google Meet Work?
- Google Meet is an online video conferencing portal that allows up to 250 external as well as internal participants to join a call. On top of it, it allows a live video streaming within a single domain, which can accommodate up to 100,000 viewers.
- The app allows the option to record the meeting for its use later.
- The video conferencing app also allows users to turn on the caption. Users have complete control over the layout of the app, and can change it at any time.
- The app allows a meeting for a limit of 60 minutes, post which the meeting automatically gets disconnected.
- In order to access Google Meet, users can download the app from the Apple Store or Google Play. However, desktop and laptop users need not download the app. It is compatible with the modern browsers.
- Users can create a new meeting and send invites to members. The app offers more control to the meeting hosts—pinning, muting, and removing participants.
- Any participant can share screens during the meeting. Besides this, participants can even message other members and share links, media, and documents.
Google Meet was never this popular, and the secret of its popularity lies in its features
12. Impact of COVID-19 on the Digital Payment Sector
Thanks to Coronavirus, the entire world is embracing the trend of ‘No Contact’. Essential goods are being sanitized, as these pass through a number of suppliers and distributors. In such a scenario, people are being equally conscious of their transactions. Individuals are trying to pay in full, without having to receive the change or are switching to the digital payments.
While cash payments are only limited to some of the local stores of essential commodities, the switch to online commerce is indeed driving the shift in the way individuals conduct transactions. Numerous digital businesses in COVID-19 such as Google Pay, PayPal, Amazon Pay, etc. are extending their services to offer as user-friendly features as possible.
The probability is, this temporary inconvenience to switch from cash payment to online payment would bring significant opportunities for the digital payment sector, as a whole. As per the reports, there has been an increase of straight 15% in the use of digital payments, as compared to the last year. The rate of digital payment app development will increase at a significant rate.
Which Digital Businesses in COVID-19 in the Digital Payment Sector are Winning Despite the Blow?
If there’s one app that can help you do more than just transaction, it is PayPal. The online digital payment app can be used by individuals and businesses alike. As of writing, PayPal has over 300 customers and merchants working in over 200 markets.
During the pandemic, the company has financially helped over 24 Mn merchants by granting them small loans and deferring processing fees. As a result, many more merchants and business owners have signed up to use PayPal.
- PayPal is an online payment app that enables transfer of money from one bank account to another. Users can even transfer funds to other countries that have different currencies.
- Users need to set up their account with just a few steps to confirm their bank account. Usually, it takes a day or two for PayPal to confirm your bank.
- The app supports and processes refund amounts, in case of cancellation of products.
- Businesses can integrate PayPal accounts in their websites for customers to easily checkout. Customers receive a 180-day window for the dispute resolution and absolutely zero liability for unauthorized transactions.
- PayPal ensures that the businesses are PCI compliant through real-time monitoring of transactions.
PayPal is the disruption that the Digital Payment Industry had been seeking
TransferWise emerged as a viable solution amidst the hassles of conducting cash transactions. TransferWise is a UK-based digital payment company that enables online transactions, without any restriction of the boundaries. One of the most interesting benefits that the company offers is in regards to the transaction overseas.
Recently, TransferWise has seen a surge in the number of transactions, given the lockdown effect, wherein individuals are conscious of getting in contact with even the physical currency. On the back of the company’s impressive performance since 2011, BlackRock and a few large investment firms have announced the acquisition of a stake worth USD 292 Mn in the company.
How Does TransferWise Work?
- TransferWise is an online payment app that enables users to send and receive money internationally. By using a TransferWise account, users can easily send funds to other countries, and even receive money in the legit currency.
- Users need to verify their account before using the app for transactions. The app requires users to sign up with valid photo id proof and address proof for the verification process. Users need to wait up for two business days for the confirmation mail.
- The app allows users to hold over 50 currencies in their account.
- The app processes currency conversion almost instantly, at low fees.
- Users can use the app to receive money in USD, AUD, EUR, GBP, NZD, and PLN without having to pay any conversion fees. Besides this, users can even opt to have a TransferWise debit card to use in Europe, the U.S., Australia, Singapore, and New Zealand.
- The app uses HTTPS encryption and 2-step login to secure all the transaction and communication happening between users.
- The app has a feature that allows users to invite their friends and carry out transactions.
Want to be the Next TransferWise in Digital Payment Segment?
13. Performance of the Dietary Supplement During the Lockdown
Though dietary supplements have been an integral part of the fitness regime of sportsmen and gym-goers, other individuals used the supplements only rarely. These are the times that dietary supplements are back in the spotlight, as coronavirus is said to affect people with low immunity level more.
While the overall outlook of the dietary supplement industry is bright, products inside the immunity realm are emerging as the real winners. As a result, enormous opportunities are available for businesses in the dietary supplement industry.
With the touch of digitalization, the dietary supplement industry has further realized its potential and reach, and a number of digital businesses in COVID-19 are ready to launch and relaunch their brands.
Crucial Digital Businesses in COVID-19 in Dietary Supplements Sector
Founded in 1968, Now Foods has been a leading natural supplements company in the industry. During the time of the founding, healthy food and supplements were not as mainstream as they are today. However, with time and increased focus on preventive care over curative care, dietary supplements started gaining witnessing a surge in their sales. Given the massive reach of the digital platforms, the company realized that it was time to adopt digital channels for acquisition of new customers.
During the lockdown, Now Foods is taking ample care to increase its base of subscribers and customers. On similar lines, the company announced that every new email subscriber would receive a coupon worth USD 5 by simply signing through the company’s website.
- Now Foods is an online eCommerce marketplace that helps customers buy supplements, beauty and health products, essential oils, sports nutrition, natural foods, and pet health products.
- Users can scroll through the products from the categories mentioned above or sort the products by alphabets or SKU.
- The website offers an opportunity for the distributors to make money by distributing the products. The distributors sign up to the platform and post their application to partner with the company.
- The website consists of a recipe section, wherein users can learn how to use natural products in different types of food.
- In order to increase the sale and attract more customers, the website consists of a ‘Shop the Sale’ section.
- Users can easily find nearby physical stores using the store locator feature of the website. Users can either purchase products online or find their availability in the stores.
There are so many NowFoods similar businesses that have followed it to profitable heights